Friday, March 17, 2006

My Views on Reviews

I love to spend time on the web reading reviews of Christian fiction books. I have found several good blogs that regularly post reviews and I also frequent the web site Christian Fiction Review. Many reviews only give an overview of the book. I like when the reviewer lets me know if they did or didn't enjoy the book. Tim Frankovich at Christian Fiction Review gives an overview of the book and then highly recommends, recommends, mildly recommends or on rare occasion does not recommend each book.

Occasionally I find that I don't like books that others are raving about. It just goes to show you that God has made each of us different and has given us different tastes. I would have to say that my favorite books are contemporary fiction followed by romance. I like some historical books, but generally prefer a more modern setting. I also enjoy Christian chick-lit. This genre of books appears to be growing every day. Next on my list of what I like to read is suspense/mystery and biblical fiction. My least favorites are fantasy and science fiction books.

From now on my reviews are going to look a little different. I am going to score each book on several different factors. Each of the scores will be based on my personal opinion of each book. The most important score will be the enjoyment score. It will be followed by the faith score, purpose score, page-turner score and finally the tearjerker score.

Be sure to check out my next post for a detailed explanation of the scoring system I am going to use.

No comments: